Over the past month it’s been great to see the nation embrace a variety of different ingredients and recipes as part of the world’s largest vegan movement, Veganuary. With over 1.4m #veganuary posts on Instagram and ‘Veganuary’ becoming a breakout search term over the past 30 days (according to Google Trends data), it looks as though many have enjoyed trying out a new way of cooking and eating this month.
Delicious, gluten free and vegan friendly, this indulgent rocky road recipe by Miele is the perfect way to end Veganuary this weekend – unless of course you’ll be making this lifestyle choice permanent! As chocolate can easily become overworked if exposed to high temperatures, cooking in a steam oven helps to keep the ingredients at a precise and consistent temperature, reducing the risk of burning.
Ingredients – Serves 4
50g Coconut oil
250g Vegan dark chocolate
100g Golden syrup
50g Rich Tea biscuits, broken into pieces
100g Vegan marshmallows, chopped into pieces
50g Glace cherries
50g Dried apricots, chopped
25g Coconut chips
Image credit: Miele Der Kern
1. Place the coconut oil, dark chocolate and golden syrup into a solid steam container and cover. Place in a steam oven and heat at 100°C for 5 minutes or until melted. Mix well. If you don’t have a steam oven, heat the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water.
2. Place all of the remaining ingredients into a large bowl and mix.
3. Pour over the chocolate and stir well to coat.
4. Transfer to a greased and lined 20cm square tin and press down well.
5. Place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
6. Sprinkle with icing sugar and cut into squares before serving.