A decadent, rich, and oh-so-gooey chocolate fudge cake, this is the perfect recipe to have in your baking repertoire. Brought to you by the famous luxury bakers, Betty’s, this recipe will see you through lockdown 3.0 and beyond.
For the cake
55g cocoa powder
125ml boiling water
185g butter, softened
300g soft brown sugar
3 eggs (medium), beaten
175g sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla paste
200g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the fudge frosting
200g butter, softened
150g icing sugar
150g Guittard dark chocolate
2 x18cm sandwich tins
To make the cake
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan assisted). Grease and line the base of the cake tins with baking parchment paper.
2. Mix the cocoa powder with the boiling water to create a paste. Allow to cool.
3. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and gradually add the beaten eggs.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together and carefully fold into the creamed mixture.
5. Add sour cream and vanilla extract to the cooled cocoa paste, and gently fold into the mixture.
6. Divide the mixture between the two tins. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until firm to the touch.
7. Leave in the tin to cool before turning onto a wire rack.
To make the fudge frosting
1. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Stir until half the chocolate has melted and remove from the heat. Allow the remainder of the chocolate to melt as the mixture cools.
2. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and icing sugar with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually incorporate the cooled melted chocolate into the creamed mixture.
3. Once the cake has cooled completely, sandwich the two cakes together with a third of the fudge frosting. Top the cake with the remaining frosting.
See the range on bettys.co.uk.