Today is National Bagel Day, so it’s time to get baking again! Originating in the Jewish communities of Poland, the popularity of bagels has extended far and wide with many enjoying the breaded treat as a breakfast or lunch. This easy bagel recipe from Miele results in bagels that are perfectly chewy and soft inside, yet with a satisfying crunch on bite. When it comes to toppings, we find these are delicious served slightly toasted and topped with cream cheese, but with over 2 million #bagel posts on Instagram, there’s plenty of sweet and savoury inspiration – one of the best things about bagels is their versatility.
Ingredients – serves 10
For the bread
500g strong white flour
330ml tepid water
15g dark soft brown sugar or dark syrup
10g fresh yeast
10g sea salt
1 egg mixed with 1tbsp water, to glaze
For the garnish
Black mustard seeds
1. In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients to create a soft dough. Knead by hand for 8 to 10 minutes or alternatively, use a machine and knead on a low medium speed for 5 minutes. Transfer the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and allow to double in size. You can speed up the process by placing the bowl inside a steam or steam combination oven at 40°C for 30 minutes.
2. When the dough has doubled in volume, knock back and divide into 10 equal pieces. Shape into rolls, place them on a baking tray, cover with greased cling film and allow to double up in volume once again.
3. Dip one finger in some flour and make a hole in the centre of each bagel, swirling it around to stretch the dough a little. Be careful not to knock out too much air from the dough. Cover two perforated steam trays with baking parchment and place the shaped bagels on them.
4. Traditionally, bagels are poached in water before baking, however a similar method can be achieved in a steam oven. Transfer the trays into a steam or steam combination oven and cook at 100°C for 1 minute. When the time has elapsed, remove the tray from the oven.
5. Preheat an oven at 180°C (if using a Miele oven, use the Moisture Plus setting with 1 burst of steam). Brush each bagel with the egg glaze and sprinkle some of the seeds on top. Bake the bagels for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Allow the bagels to cool on a wire rack and serve.